[Phys-l] Relativity Question

On 05/13/2009 12:00 PM, Eric Lane, Lane wrote:

Can you suggest any tests for validity?

We seem to be OK on GPS SR correction. Our theory would seem to
accomodate relativity of simultaneity, the latter being defined then
as equal values, according to the light equation, of transit times of
signals to an observer from two events, simulataneous in the frame of
issue.

Well, that right there is a test for validity ... but the test
is already failed. If two distinct events are simultaneous
"in the frame of issue" or any other frame, then there cannot
be any signals that "transit" from one event to the other.

To say the same thing in modern (post-1908) terminology: there
is a spacelike separation between the two events. The worldline
of a signal is either timelike or lightlike.

There are of course many additional tests, but we don't need to
go there at the moment.

SR is not nearly as mysterious as most textbooks make it out to
be. I recommend Taylor & Wheeler _Spacetime Physics_.

Also, could we please not put personal names in the Subject: line?
We are supposed to comment on what is said, not on who said it.

The attribution of quotes can be handled in the body of the message,
on a quote-by-quote basis. See above for an example. The Subject:
field is not the right place for this.