Re: [Phys-l] unbiased experiments +- index of refraction

Bob,

There is 'discovery', 'inquiry', 'guided inquiry', 'modeling, 'collaborative', 'cooperative', and that good ol' boy 'traditional instruction', all of which are different but none of which are well understood (by outsiders). If I actually understand any of this (doubtful), the real key is 'engagement', and any way (even traditionally) that you get the students 'engaged' will supposedly prove (more) successful. That all probably will be met with a 'well DUH' from most.

As to 'verification' labs--some lab work is about experimental design and technique. Hard to know if the techniques have been learned with out something to calibrate against--like measuring a few knowns. Sort of like trying to do some of the above techniques with no background knowledge--it becomes difficult. [There really are good reason for learning the alphabet and multiplication tables. ;-) ]

We can now see the 'new' government course for education (I kind of think it is the same old one) blaming the teachers and administrators for all the failures. (CLOSE 5000 schools--replace teachers and administrators and start over--good luck on that one (certainly 200-300,000 teachers and over 5000 administrators to be moved/replaced? Wonder how the teacher's unions feel about their guy right now?) When will that 'pendulum' return to the responsibility of parents and students to be willing and active players in the education process?

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>

I hope there's more to "discovery labs" than this. I do an identical exercise with springs - one group studies the effect of mass on period, another studies the effect of amplitude, etc. The only difference between what I have described and what you have described is the point at which they encounter the equation for the period - at the begining of the exercise or at the end. I hope someone who has a strong definition of what a discovery lab actually is will chime in.

Bob at PC