Re: [Phys-l] index of refraction

On 05/13/2009 06:03 AM, Paul Lulai wrote:
The lab was phrased to make it an application / lab problem. I told
them we were a small lab attempting solve problem xyz for boss abc.
The boss wants to know the width of some small item, maybe the width
of a wire, hair, or something else. Our job is to see it this
wavelength of light is appropriate for the job. Wavelength affects
resolution. Turn out our lab has some old lasers that haven't been
used and documentation is lost. Find the wavelength of our existing
lasers so we or our boss or your employees know what sort of
resolution we can get from the use of these lasers.

I understand where that is trying to go, but it falls off the rails
before it gets there. Some constructive suggestions appear below.

I always thought that the main point of "rich context" problems is
that the students are supposed to rack their brains and think of little
bits of real-world information that they can bring to bear. In this
example, such info weakens the scenario rather than enriching it.

In particular:

I can determine the diameter of a hair within a few percent
using a micrometer caliper ($20.00 at Harbor Freight).

IMHO learning about micrometer calipers is at least as important
and more age-appropriate than learning about lasers.

The wavelength of light is not important for visually observing
objects the size of a hair. The scenario is restricted to the
visual spectrum, which has a narrow wavelength range to begin with.

You don't need a laser; incoherent white light works fine.
Students ought to know this already, having looked at hairs,
red blood cells, etc. in biology class.

If you want to motivate the idea of calibrating a laser wavelength,
you don't need to fuss with hairs or old lasers in the attic. An
ordinary cat laser from the dollar store has an undocumented (and
irreproducible) wavelength. You can calibrate it using a CD as a
diffraction grating. If you don't know the track pitch of your CD
you can calibrate that using any standard of wavelength, e.g.

Ye olde HeNe laser is 632.816 nm. No documentation required.

As for my green "pocket" laser, I know immediately that it is
525 ± 25 nm because it is _green_. In fact it has to be 532 nm,
since it's a frequency-doubled Nd:YAG.

Or sodium D-line.