From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Clement
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:33 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] index of refraction

Whoa - from the intensity of the response I feel like I stepped into some
dogma.

No, YOU just said that it was "dogma". YOU brought in religion, which is
not the issue here.

They are not an appropriate response. Notice that calling a reasoned
argument a religious or political argument is the same as saying I am
correct and rational, and you are not.

We both have firmly held opinions, but using such labels seems to be a
standard response when someone's paradigm is challenged, and they can't
think of a reasoned response.

So come up with some research which shows that verification labs are
superior to inquiry labs. When I make such challenges, they generally go
unanswered, so I must conclude that my reasoning is good. Everyone is
willing to come up with evidence from physics books, so why not look at some
of the PER research, or science education research and find evidence for the
"conservative" point of view.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX