From: "Edmiston, Mike" <edmiston@bluffton.edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:21:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] index of refraction

Curtis Osterhoudt said, "The index of concentrated sugar water or salt
water isn't *much* higher than for pure water..."

Response: I don't know where this is coming from. The demonstration of
the difference, when done properly, is dramatic. This is the way
vintners measure the sugar content of their grapes. You can buy
portable pocket refractometers for measuring sugar in water (also for
measuring salt in water). Unfortunately they are expensive. The J Chem
Ed publication explains how to make your own sugar-water
refractometer... but it won't fit in your pocket.