Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question (corrected)

On 05/06/2009 12:28 PM, Eric Lane, Lane wrote:

However irregular it may be, we are couching our development in the
context of Newtonian space and absolute time. We distinguish between
a "classical" observation and a "relativistic" one. The first means
observation of an event datum, or an algebraic expression such as
momentum, by a physicist present in the originating frame of the
event, and in near proximity to his clock, that is, Einstein's proper
time. The relativistic one is an observation of either of those
quantities in which one or more data did not originate in the
observer's frame, but must be transformed to his frame from where it
orignated. That action introduces a signal delay, which is the
essence of distinction of a relativistic interpretation. Clearly,
most of the nomenclature, restrictions, and formalism of space-time
SR will not apply in our approach, and we ask you to bear with us on
that. For example, we think the question of how long it takes a
photon to travel from one point in space to another a defin ed
distance Lo = vT1 away when sent, is quite reasonable.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're trying to do. I'm somewhat
sympathetic, having undertaken similar efforts from time to time.
It's a developmental phase that people go through.

I can predict how it will turn out. The main possibilities are:
a) You re-invent Fitzgerald-Lorentz transformations.
b) You re-invent Minkowski spacetime.
c) You invent something that doesn't work, but you don't
realize it doesn't work, à la Pentcho Valev.
d) You realize it doesn't work and either give up or cycle
back to (a) or (b).

I emphasize that outcome (b) is greatly to be preferred. Read
Taylor & Wheeler and/or
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-trig.pdf
http://www.av8n.com/physics/odometer.pdf

.... which is the
essence of distinction of a relativistic interpretation.

Actually in order to make relativity work, in the non-recommended
Fizgerald-Lorentz approach, there are *three* essences:
1) time dilatation,
2) length contraction, and
3) breakdown of simultaneity at a distance.
Usually when people set out to "reconcile" relativity with non-
relativistic physics, they overlook item (3). More rarely they
overlook one of the other items, or multiple items.

I emphasize that if you take the spacetime approach, you almost
don't need to worry about any of that; the four-dimensional
trigonometry takes care of it for you.

Nothing we have obtained changes relativistic results, is not
proposed as a better way of doing SR, much less trying to replace it.
It is a pedagogical investigation which explains what SR is.

Strictly speaking, this re-invention phase is *not* a pedagogical
exercise, because pedagogy refers to teaching young students. This
is a larval phase that you go through by yourself, for your own
edification. Inflicting it on students would be a huge step in the
wrong direction.

we use the Lorentz transformation
also, once, to determine the light transit time between specified
frames

That is an unnecessary abuse of the terminology. Find another
way of saying it.

Space-time accomodates the unique propogation properties of light,
through a coordinate system based on the Lorentz transformation, the
heart of SR, as shown by Einstein.

I wouldn't have said that. Spacetime was invented by Minkowski.
Einstein was quite disappointed with himself for not inventing it,
but before long he adopted the spacetime approach. He *had* to,
in order to make progress on general relativity.

Following in Einstein's footsteps is a waste of time ... but I
don't expect to talk you out of it. Sometimes people need to
make a mistake in order to see how big of a mistake it is.
Trying to do relativity without spacetime is like trying to
eat vichyssoise with a fork. It's a waste of time, especially
given that spoons are readily available.

I will also warn you that inventing a theory that explains
_part_ of SR is easy but extremely unhelpful. Don't go there.
That's serious crackpot territory.