Re: [Phys-l] Conservation of energy in nuclear reactions

On 05/04/2009 02:57 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
If the interaction occurs such that it is almost one dimensional, the
lighter object should pick up twice the speed of the much heavier
object. That is the essence of my understanding of the slingshot
effect. ...

To the group: Is my understandiing of the slingshot effect incorrect?

Yes.

In the center-of-mass frame, it's obvious by symmetry.