Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 09:08:10 -0500
From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

kyle forinash wrote:
HI

Some factoids (mostly from the IPCC). Although the total annual average
insolation remains constant for the earth over hundreds of thousands of
years (even including orbit changes- and changes in sun intensity occur
much slower), the LOCAL change at 60deg latitude is a seasonal variation
of around ~400W/m^2.
Hmmmm...let's see: the overhead insolation at the equator - let's call
it 700 W/m^2
So at 60degNorth, the insolation would be 700cos(60-23) = 569 W/m^2 in
Summer,
and 700cos(60+23) = 85W/m^2 in Winter.
The LOCAL seasonal variation at 60 degN would be 569 - 85 = 484W/m^2
The LOCAL diurnal variation is 569 W/m^2 in Summer, and 85W/m^2 in Winter.

....in other words, I don't get it - so I am missing something??

Brian W