Re: [Phys-l] Antarctic Ice Shelf Falling Apart

From another list

4/30/09 5:44:59 PM, "Lawrence B. Crowell" <lcrowell@SWCP.COM> wrote:

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:44:59 -0600
From: "Lawrence B. Crowell" <lcrowell@SWCP.COM>

Subject:Re: Antarctic Ice Shelf Falling Apart
To: AVOID-L@HAWAII.EDU

-----Original Message-----
From: Atoms and the Void [mailto:AVOID-L@HAWAII.EDU] On Behalf Of Bob

Zannelli

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:47 AM
To: AVOID-L@HAWAII.EDU

Subject: Antarctic Ice Shelf Falling Apart

Average temperatures in the Antarctic Peninsula have risen by 3.8
degrees

Fahrenheit over the past 50 years — higher than the average global
rise,

according to studies.
Over the next several weeks, scientists estimate the Wilkins shelf
will

lose some 1,300 square miles — a piece larger than the state of
Rhode

Island, or two-thirds the size of Luxembourg.

))))))))))))))))))))))

http://news.aol.com/article/antarctic-ice-shelf-falling-apart/
452969?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link3|
http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fantarctic-ice-shelf-falling-
apart%2F452969

The word needs to get out on this. There is some strange disinformation
campaign at work which has people convinced that Antarctica is actually
getting colder. Yet the ice shelves have started to break up several
times
a year in this last decade.

Some parts of Antarctica are actually getting slightly colder; but its
average
temperature is mostly stable. This is consistent with global warming,
since
the southern hemisphere is mostly ocean, which stores a very large part of
the
heat and slows warming in Antarctica, and alters thermal transfer patterns
so
that some bits of Antarctica are momentarily cooling. This effect is
temporary, though, and will run out in the next few years.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/antarctic-cooling-
global-warming/

The disinformation about Antarctic cooling supposedly contradicting global

warming is disseminated by various phoney organizations fronting for the
coal
and oil industries. For example, the NCPA:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?t
itle=National_Center_for_Policy_Analysis

and the Heartland Institute:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Heartland_Institute

...spray a lot of bullshit "science" against global warming.

Exxon alone has pumped at least $16 million into such phoney front
organizations in a campaign deliberately modelled on the tobacco
companies'
anti-science campaign of the 1970s and 1980s (even employing some of the
same
people):

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/global_warming_cont
ra
rians/exxonmobil-report-smoke.html

Meanwhile, Nature says if we don't act *now* to fix things, we're in very
big
trouble.

"Research published in Nature reveals that once a trillion tonnes of
anthropogenic carbon has been released into the atmosphere, a peak global
warming exceeding 2°C is likely. Yet only a third of economically
recoverable
oil, gas and coal reserves can be burned before 2100 if that 2°C warming
is to
be avoided. Faced with this climate crunch, three news features ask: will
cutting back on carbon be tougher than we think? Can we drag CO2 directly
from
the air? And could we cool the planet with a wisp of mist? The worst-case
scenario is a world in 2100 that has twice the level of pre-industrial CO2
in
the atmosphere. If we want to avoid that, the time for action is now, says
Nature."

_http://www.nature.com/news/specials/roadtocopenhagen/index.html_
(http://www.nature.com/news/specials/roadtocopenhagen/index.html)

Kerry