[Phys-l] JITT advice

Hello,

I've been reading a bit about Just In Time Teaching, and am thinking about implementing it in some of my classes next semester. I was wondering if anyone on the list has used this technique, and what types of pitfalls and challenges you faced. What sorts of warm-up questions work well, and what sort work badly? Mostly I'm interested in some of the mechanics of it. Did you grade the warm-ups? How did this compare to the grading for homeworks? It seems like there needs to be a balance between the time for grading, and benefit to the students. If one simple grades completion, then some student laziness may be encouraged, but if you grade it like a homework, then there may be a motivation to copy from another student and the benefits of the approach are undermined.

Another question that comes to mind is how much time should the students have for the warm-ups. Is it worth posting several days in advance, or should it be posted just the day before it is due? How much time did you find you needed to look at the answers before class? I usually have 3 classes back-to-back. If they are at 9,10, and 11 then I might only have 1/2-1 hr before to look at the answers for all the classes.

Any thoughts would be great!

thanks,

Brian Blais

--