[Phys-l] Why no hum?

Back in the middle ages I repaired radios for pin money. The "big" ones often used a field coil instead of a PM in the loud speaker for the voice coil "to work against" [correct physics expression]. The coil did double duty as part of the filter for the HV supply. I don't remember if they were L or C input filters, but either way I was surprised -- no audible background hum; still am.

Anyone out there have an idea why.

bc