Re: [Phys-l] Climate Denial Crock of the Week-"It'scold.Sothere's no Climate Change"

My memory of snow is that it had a hard crust, and you walked on top of the
crust. But one time my father tried to take a hot bath, and the pump was
out. So he put on his bathrobe and slippers for the trek to the barn where
the pump was located. He fell through the crust, and his bathrobe ended up
above him. So he crawled out, went to the barn and adjusted the pump. The
hot bath finished the ordeal. Brrrr. Downstate in the lower Hudson was
much warmer. As I say, the climate in far upstate is different now.

Many homes still had "outhouses", but often they were no longer in use.
Typically they were attached and behind a storage room, or a back covered
porch. One had to brush the snow off the seat before using it. You had to
have a small screened window open all the time or the smell would be awful.
The big problem is that everything was frozen. One hoped for an early thaw
because you did not want to sit on a frozen stalagmite. This is personal
experience, and not hearsay. Incidentally Cornell U had buildings with twin
outhouses still on the building. But they had been long redecorated and
added to a professor's office. The professors probably thought of them as
cozy nooks and never suspected their previous use.

I also was a tour guide at Brotherhood Winery in the late 60s.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Heh... Yeah, "upstate" certainly IS a variable concept, especially to the
folks in NYC; many of whom seem to think that "upstate" is REALLY small in
relation to the size of "the city"! Got some funny stories about that
from
my tennis days - My favorite being told that there was a guy coming in
from
"around you that you'll probably know". The guy was from Rochester, and I
live near Newburgh!

Whew, Watertown... Yep, lots of snow in the winter up there. Have to
admit, my childhood memories of snow are that the snow was pretty high;
snow
up to the hips and all that. 'Course I WAS a little shorter back then!
;-)