From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:12:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] models of radioactivity

Though Jack's treatment follows the same path as Hugh's and the MIT
introductory treatment at the cited URL, I should probably underline a
caution given in the MIT URL I mentioned, as follows:

"Please notice that these models only make sense when the initial
population is quite large, since the only possible changes in population
here are integers. In other words, a given nucleus either decays or
doesn't, so at any time the number in each population is an integer.
Thus, if we make dp smaller than 1, we leave the realm in which the
model makes sense, and enter an artificial mathematical domain. Thus,
keeping dp finite, as we do in numerical calculations, rather than
letting it go to 0, as we do in formal differentiation is more
compatible with the model."

Brian W

Jack Uretsky wrote:
The time dependence of a population of decaying atoms is assumed to follow
the Poisson law
N(t) =N(0)e^{-pt).
the half-lkife T' is defined to follow N(T') =N(0)/2, or
e^{-pT'} =1/2
Taking the ln of each side of the last equation gives:
pT' =ln2, which leads immediately to the quoted equation.