Re: [Phys-l] taxes (was SOLAR , NUCLEAR ENERGY etc.)

That's what Carter said and began the roll back that we ( well, not Bob, et al.) suffer from today.

Come now (proper role) you know it depends on the political philosophy of the person defining [no consensus] -- One of the founding fathers thought it was to protect the people from monopolies.

couldn't find it but I did find:

I hope we shall take warning from the example and crush in it's birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country.[55] [T. J.] And:

Concerning the Shays' Rebellion after he had heard of the bloodshed, on November 13, 1787 Jefferson wrote to William S. Smith, John Adams's son-in-law, "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."[59] And in another letter to William S. Smith during 1787, Jefferson wrote:

And what country can preserve its liberties, if the rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.[60]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson#View_on_corporations

bc

p.s. Carter's minor purpose of govt. (Includes life is not fair quote):

If the purpose of the Government-and I think its legitimate purpose-- is to prevent the birth of unwanted children, I think the best way to spend limited Federal moneys, again, is in the education of sometimes ignorant young people, women and men, and making available to them family planning instruction plus contraceptive devices that would prevent a pregnancy to begin with.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=7857