Re: [Phys-l] taxes (was SOLAR , NUCLEAR ENERGY etc.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "chuck britton" <britton@ncssm.edu>

I think I've mentioned the abysmal state of water heating systems
currently at work in the US.
A substantial tax on non-solar water heating systems could get the
failing gas/electric systems brought into the 21st century.

Rental property owners are (usually) required to provide hot water to
the tenants.

Not in the apartment complexes (the 'city' of Mishawaka Indiana, wedged between South Bend and Elkhart (of recent news)) is a city of such apartment complexes. Everyone has their own water heater.

The cheapest heaters and cheapest insulation will always be installed
unless there is a good (financial) reason to do otherwise.

Again--use the building codes.

A hefty tax on non-environmentally 'correct' installations might get
things moving in the 'correct' direction.

Retroactive? This would certainly endear you to landlords--maybe to the point of having them send Vito to visit you late at night! ;-)

Rick