[Phys-l] Conference on Science and Math in North Central Indiana April 24

Sorry for the duplication, but apparently my first note did not get posted properly, so here is the information again.

If you live near north central Indiana, please consider joining us as we discuss ways to improve science and math learning for all students in our community. Please pass this information on to anyone who might be interested.
Sorry about the late notice but we had problems with our web registration page. Please register by April 16 so we can count you for lunch.

See below for further information

Next Steps in Math and Science Education: Building Our Community's Future
Please attend the 2nd annual conference on enhancing math and science learning in our community, at the Century Center on Friday, April 24. Registration from 8:15-9 am, but we prefer you call 574-315-5485, or go to http://mthsci.com/register to pre-register.

The keynote speaker is Ms. Bertha King. Discussion sessions are:
-What are effective ways to encourage students to enter STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) careers?
-How were you taught math and science, and should these methods be used today?
-What local resources for STEM education are available, and how can they be used?
-What is the role of the community to encourage the next steps in STEM education?
-How do we identify and encourage good practices in science and math teaching?

In addition to free lunch, there will be a panel discussion on a STEM vision for the local community, and Next Steps brainstorming sessions on what each of us can do to make our community ready for new and sustainable economic development. At the end of the day, you can chat with providers of local informal math and science learning opportunities as well as publishers of student-centered science and math classroom materials. Meet representatives of local businesses and industries that use math- and science-trained people. Learn about new k-12 education initiatives in our communities and meet representatives of higher education interested in enhancing math and science learning. All are welcome to join the conversation.

If you plan to attend, please register by April 16.

thanks again and sorry for the duplication,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College