Re: [Phys-l] Economics 101, Sociology 101, Social Justice 101, ---Physics 101?

We are now way out of our realm and descending into accusing each other of
such things as holding unjust social views! Of course one must presume to
know what is or is not 'just' to make such an accusation. Our school has a
program in 'Justice' but manages to pay adjuncts 20% of what we pay
'full-timers' for the same (probably more) work. Bet that is the same at
most institutions. :-(

Anyway...something to remember when spouting off about the top 1% or 10% or
whatever. That top 1% represents something like THREE MILLION people in the
U.S. Part and parcel of Twain's remarks about statistics is the use of
percentages when that seemingly makes your point better and numbers when
that does so. To be objective, it helps to do both. This comes into play
in talking about the original topic here--energy. While CFLs may save less
than 1% of our energy use, the magnitude of that savings is greater than the
total usage of any number of small countries--therefore well worth doing.

Rick