Re: [Phys-l] Energy use (was CFLs)

Spinozalens@aol.com wrote:
It's absolutely vital that we reduce our Carbon emission and clearly a big part of this is reducing our energy consumption. The per capita energy consumption in the United States is about twice as much as Europe. Studies show that standard of living is directly correlated with per capita energy use but standard of living gains level off at the energy consumption rates reach a certain value. The U.S with about 4 percent of the world's population used about 24 percent of the total energy production in the world. So we would need about 6 worlds worth of resources if everyone used as much energy as Americans do. Bob Zannelli
Despite what some studies show, how would you feel about the US decreasing its energy
input per capita by increasing its standard of living to Scandinavian levels - which is
to say that the coupling between standard of living and energy input is not quite as
straightforward as one might suppose ...in my view.

Brian W