Re: [Phys-l] standing wave experiment

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

If you suspect your string is too stretchy, you can take Henny
Youngman's advice: don't do it that way. Non-stretchy cordage
is easy to come by.

Since (I believe) the problem here is that PASCO supplies (even sells) this string with their wave motion vibrators, one might think this is good stuff with which to work. I bit and ordered a reel of the string when we bought the vibrators. That reel remains sealed! The big stretchy stuff is fine for showing standing waves (demo mode), but I prefer a 20ft long coiled spring for that. I actually have not seen the reported behavior, but the stretching of the string makes the traditional experiment impossible since knowing the mass/length of the string becomes a function of the tension on the string. Too complicated. We have some 50 lb test fishing line (don't try and break that stuff with your hands or try the break the string by accelerating a mass having wrapped the string around your hand demo--been there, done that, OUCH!) that is thick enough to see well and doesn't stretch. It works great in this lab.

Rick