Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures

On 04/04/2009 08:02 AM, Rick Tarara wrote in part:
>> We need to keep the questions clear here. The polar melting
>> (and there has been some controversy on that lately as well)

No, there really isn't much controversy. NASA & NSIDC had a press conference on Monday. The ice extent in the Arctic is continuing to decrease -- not monotically, of course -- but equally bad, the ice is thinning, and getting younger. See

http://davidappell.blogspot.com/2009/04/arctic-sea-ice.html

I hear that in a month or two NSIDC will release a graph of Arctic sea ice volume vs. time, which is really what you want to know. All indications are that it will show a sharp decrease over the last couple of decades.

David