[Phys-l] Comparisons are Invidious (was Energy use)

It's easy to suppose that the U.S enjoys a world-topping standard of living.
It appears however, that the US ranks several down from the chart-toppers.
Last I recall it was one of the Scandinavian countries that enjoyed that slot.

It's easy to suppose we have the best medical care on Earth - but it turns out our life expectancy is rather shorter than that of several other nationals, though here it is bought at a unit health cost per GDP greater than anyplace else, despite the considerable population holes in coverage.

Some others tend to have an unfair advantage in this health care area - no matter how poor, they get pre-natal visits and mothers who can stay home for the perinatal period.
That lifts the numbers at the front-end, apparently. Think France, or Canada.

Brian W

marx@phy.ilstu.edu wrote:
Here, here!!

There is a strong correlation between GDP and energy use. We enjoy our standard of living and pay for the energy we use to maintain that standard. There are many though that want us to revert to a standard of living that this country hasn't seen for more than a century. That is ridiculous. What we can do is find ways for people around the world to generate enough energy to improve their standard of living - which would also go a long way to reduce the birth rate in many countries - without necessarily causing great harm to the Earth.