Re: [Phys-l] Energy use

What we can do is find ways for people around the world to generate
enough energy to improve their standard of living ...

Can we indeed do this??? I certainly hope so, but it will take some
MAJOR changes.

Planetary-scale energy needs will only be met by "harvesting" energy
from planetary-scale sources:
* energy from the earth (geothermal)
* energy from the sun (including wind and biofuels)
* energy from the moon (tides).
* energy from atoms (fusion - not fission because we don't seem to have
enough U)

Until we start thinking on these scales, we are thinking too small!
Furthermore, these are mostly diffuse sources, so storage &
transportation on a global scale become an issue too. If we do not
figure out how to (or develop the will to) harvest these sources on
these scales, civilization will not continue as it is.

Tim Folkerts