Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures -- a modest proposal

At 00:02 -0700 04/08/2009, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Calculating the "wind resistance" of current ones, I think is an easy engineering exercise. The blades are made to be completely feathered already?

It isn't the steady winds that I worry about. A feathered blade can handle a substantial wind speed. I've flown around in airplanes with a propeller or two feathered at speeds up to 250 knots with not problems. What I don't know is how well a turbine blade that may be as much as 30 meters long would handle gust loading that could easily be non-constant over that dimension, if the hub structure could be damaged by violent slewing as the wind gusts changed direction quickly.

I also worry about how well the foundation structure would withstand the storm surge. I heard of massive oil rigs being destroyed during some of the really bad storms in the North Sea, and I don't think a hurricane would be any easier on a wind turbine tower.

I'm sure these can be handled by competent engineers, but at some point the additional cost of making them strong enough to withstand a Category 4 or 5 hurricane may run the cost up to the "not worth the effort" level.

Offshore wind turbines are already significantly more expensive than on-shore ones, and having to replace them before their design lifetime due to wind damage doesn't make them any easier a sell.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org