Re: [Phys-l] Freeman Dyson - a heretic?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Fox" <physicsfox23@gmail.com>
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/magazine/29Dyson-t.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=freeman%20dyson&st=cse

I found it intriguing. As scientists are we meant to be skeptics?

Absolutely! We need always remember that it takes only one, reproducible, negative experiment to blow a theory out of the water, no matter how ingrained, how long, how universally accepted that theory might be. The less hard data available to confirm/deny a theory (model, prediction, projection) the more skeptical we should be. Of course, there are limits! ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College