Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures -- a modest proposal

John Denker wrote:
> The best part, he says, is that you would only
> need about 15 volcanoes, if you set them off at
> intervals, one every three years. That's because
> in 50 years or so, if present
> trends continue, we will have used up all the fossil carbon
> fuels, and the CO2 problem will have gone away on its

In 50 years we will probably have used up most of the oil, but then, if nothing else is available, we will switch to coal, of which there is enough to last a few hundred years. Carbon-wise, coal is even worse than oil.

Actually there's some evidence this is already happening: carbon emissions intensity (carbon emitted per unit of GDP) bottomed out around the year 2002, after a decline of essentially forever, and is trending back upward, though slowly. See

Canadell et al, PNAS 2007 v 104 n 47 p 18866
http://tinyurl.com/cwpybw

David
--
David Appell