Re: [Phys-l] frequency and wavelength of sound in air

This is a lab at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey. The boxes (no tops) are lined w/ acoustical foam*. Two piezoelectric transducers are used. Not surprisingly, the labs are heavily weighted to ocean acoustics. They not only have three large pools in the basement, but also a rather good home made anechoic chamber and one lab. room is used as an echoic chamber. They also have a large sand pile w/ piezo detectors and a thumper. I leave it to youall to guess its purpose. [hint: the trailer for analysis and thumper driver reminds me of those used to find oil.]

* can only be used for a few hours before becoming impregnated w/ water.

bc's first job was topping up and running the filtering system periodically.

p.s. I wonder is there is an acoustical frequency doubling, etc. analogous to that in optical non-linear crystals?