Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

Let me speak as the spouse of a historian of the philosophy of science. The words we use and the words that are translations of Aristotle don't always map easily. I'm not sure that Aristotle's notion of efficient cause, or formal, or material, or final, maps on to our notion of force in the way that the quoted reading and following commentary might suggest.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College