Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

At 22:13 -0400 04/01/2009, chuck britton wrote:

I am more impressed by Aristotle 'knowing' that men had one fewer ribs than women - because of the creation story.
And not bothering to count the number of teeth in the human mouth before 'publishing'.

I have wondered about that rib thing. Did he really write that, or is that story a figment of someone's imagination (as are many of such stories). How much would he have known about the Hebrew tradition in his day? I'm sure that there was some interaction between the Hebrews and the Greeks before Aristotle's day, but was that myth part of the Greek mainstream, so that he would have been a believer of it rather than a Greek polytheist, as were most of his contemporaries?

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org