Re: [Phys-l] Harmonics vs Overtones

HI,

I do not think that it makes physical sense to discuss waves, whose wavelengths are shorter than the diameter of a gas molecule. Although one can imagine a square wave (which requires an infinite sum of sine waves) in an organ pipe or on a string, I think that it is physically impossible.

Sincerely,
Roger Haar

Dan Crowe wrote:
A cutoff frequency implies that there are a finite number of modes, but a series does not have to be an infinite series.
The sound generated by a musical instrument can be modeled by a mathematical formula that is a sum of terms. Each term in the sum represents a mode. The modes themselves form a set, but the sound is represented by a sum. Is this sum a finite series? If not, why not?
I agree that there is a set of modes. On the other hand, I think that it is useful to talk about representing sound as a modal series, which is a sum over the modes. The modes are the basis set for the series. I agree that the modal series is not, in general, a harmonic series.
Daniel Crowe
Loudoun County Public Schools
Academy of Science
dan.crowe@loudoun.k12.va.us