Re: [Phys-l] Harmonics vs Overtones

You are correct for the simple one-dimensional cases we talk about in introductory courses.

I apologize to my students for the two vocabularies, but say we learn about both because both are in common use.

The harmonic description is simplest. In our equations for allowed wavelengths and frequencies, the integer n is the harmonic number: n = 1 is the first harmonic, n = 2 is the second harmonic, and so on.

In the fundamental-overtone description, n = 1 gives the simplest pattern of node(s) and antinode(s), the fundamental (lowest) frequency, and the longest wavelength. Then the tones over that fundamental frequency are called the overtones and so on.

I like to point out that the wavelengths and frequencies are quantized (have certain allowed values) to lead to some simple ideas of quantum (wave) mechanics.

Tom Sandin