From: "Stuart Leinoff" <leinoffs@sunyacc.edu>
To: "Phys-L List server" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux; muddied

..and perhaps just to muddy the waters here a bit:

Doesn't "centrifugal" just mean "away from the center" (or from the Latin
"fleeing" the center)?

Even in the laboratory (inertial) frame, if there is a centripetal force,
by N3
there would have to be a centrifugal force. (or are we all assuming that
we
are talking only about forces acting on the object moving in a circle?)

Even so, why would anyone argue that there is no such thing as centrifugal
force?
--
Stuart Leinoff