From: "chuck britton" <britton@ncssm.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:57 AM
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

On Mar 18, 2009, at Mar 18(Wed) 1:54 , Bob Sciamanda wrote:
One interpretation might identify the agent as the distant stars.
When viewed, for example, from a rotating earth, the stars
constitute a
rotating mass generating gravi-magnetic fields - resulting in
centrifugal/coriolis forces for the earth observers.

yes, of course. It all makes so much sense.

When an astro/cosmology type person put forth this explanation to me
- I was MOST perplexed as to how EASY it was for me to swing the
entire universe around at pretty much whatever speed I chose.

SURELY there must be some VERY strange versions of dynamics and
energy conservation in this viewpoint.