Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

Michael Porter wrote:
Is it time to mention Mach's Principle yet? I'm still unsteady on that one.

Short version:
I'm floating in space, holding some weights at arm's length.
I'm spinning (I can tell by looking at the stars), and I feel the weights tugging outwards as I spin.
Now, using my god-like powers, I make the rest of the universe disappear (I engineer it so that everything winks out simultaneously, despite the differences in distance -- god-like powers, and all that).
I now have no external reference to tell me I'm spinning. Do the weights still tug outwards?
Can I achieve the same effect by closing my eyes? ;-)

Michael Porter
This is SUCH an interesting topic for experimental verification.
The way that two fast spinning gyros with orthogonal axes fix
a direction in inertial space - in deep space, or on Earth, and
relativity of motion be damned!.

If I swamp the distant Machian masses with four close lead balls,
will the axes of the spinning gyros shift when I swiftly distance
the plumb bobs?
I believe they won't - but I am thinking it's open to
experimental verification.

BrianW