Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernard Cleyet" <bernardcleyet@redshift.com>

p.p.s. Is an unintended consequence of our overly litigious society a
decreased experience of centrifugal force at a young age?

Yes and no. Today's extreme coasters certainly provide a variety of 'force' experiences--but most lasting for only a short time. I do fear that my favorite amusement park ride of the late 50s would be hard to find today. It was called 'rocket to the moon' and was a large turntable slanted at 15-20 degrees with the 'rocket' being a donut shaped cylinder on the outer edge of the turnable portion--cut out at the top so you could get in and sit (or lay) on some padded seats. The thing would spin fast enough that you couldn't easily (if at all) sit back up when in motion. No way now to know the 'g' forces, but certainly 2 g's and probably 3--and sustained for minutes. (My other favorite was called the 'bobsled' and you rode in a free wheeling cart that rolled down (and up the sides) of an enclosed tube that had elevation changes along with numerous turns. The free wheeling part would be frowned on today!)

Rick