Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

Check out the comic strip http://xkcd.com/123/ for a slightly different take on this issue.

Zeke Kossover

----- Original Message ----
From: Ken Fox <physicsfox23@gmail.com>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:16:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

From Rick Tarara:
"........but of course in the accelerating frame you have to give up
Newton's laws (especially the third)
since there is no agent to which you can assign the centrifugal force."

Understanding frame of reference is essential and well within the capability
of my high school students. We tend to stick with the inertial frame as has
been suggested. But we live in many accelerated frames, cars and airplanes
and amusement park rides.

As for agents of a force, how imaginary is gravity?

Let's hear it for the Principle of Equivalence and a possible extension to
Centrifugal Fields. I notice such every time in the winter when I turn left
and feel hot air come my way. High school students can easily grasp such
ideas.

Ken Fox