Re: [Phys-l] Is Global Warming really a one-sided point of, view ora scientif...

LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
Yes, that is exactly what the regression from 2001-2008 produces - a
fairly large drop over that time period - 1.3 degrees over a 7 year
span. The regression line is
T = -0.202 Y + 53.78

Try it and let me know if I have made an error. I realize that extending
the time span to include the surprisingly cool years preceding this span
produces a different result.

Bob, even without doing any calculations at all it's obvious this
equation, or your interpretation of it, must be in error. The world
warmed by an average of 0.8 C in the 20th century. A decline of 0.2 C/yr
over the last 7-8 years would undo all of that by a factor of about two.
Such a cooling would be stark and huge and right in our faces. Yet, we
continue to see evidence of warming all around us.

Perhaps you forgot to divide by 100 somewhere (as the NASA GISS data is
in hundreds of a degree C)?

According to the data I gave earlier:

1998 57
1998 33
2000 33
2001 48
2002 56
2003 55
2004 49
2005 62
2006 54
2007 57
2008 44

I get T = 1.04 * (Year - 1998) +43.4

R^2 = 0.13

That's a positive slope of 1.04/100 C per yr (= 0.01/yr, = 0.1/decade),
though the correlation is, again, small. In other words, this is a
plateau, and nothing special.

David
--
David Appell, freelance science journalist
e: appell@nasw.org