Re: [Phys-l] Isotope chemistry and physics

The problem w/ low toxicity of all sl. toxic materials is whether they are cumulative, such as UV, or not, such as Cs-137. I suspect the bio-half life of D2O is rather long **, therefore, any additional ingestion (above that naturely occurring) is not recommended. True for immediate pathology the concentration must be great, but if it's cumulative, I'd rather not increase our present unavoidable exposure.

** for the D that is incorporated in cells -- why children, especially, should not be fed D.

I think the below site is credible:

http://www.physlink.com/Education/askExperts/ae685.cfm

Regarding the naturely occurring isotopes being toxic: I suspect we've along w/ our jillion years ago ancestors have had time to adjust to the sl. reduced chemical activity of the denser isotopes. But not to a sudden change in the concentration of D2O. An interesting experiment would be to do the reverse, i.e. subject mice or better, bacteria to an environment containing only the lowest atomic weight isotopes, a reverse poisoning. [Obviously fanciful, but a thought.] the bacteria would evolve, but not the mice in the lab. time scale?

bc believes in the precautionary principle.

p.s. A, ha, selective quoting. Here's an alternate one:

"Non-toxic levels of heavy water reduce induced hypertension and associated changes in rats (Vasdev et al., 1993; 1994). A patent has been obtained for the use of heavy water in treating human subjects (Liepins, 1993)."

It is, at bc's level of understanding" that because the nature of toxicity of heavier isotopes is reduced reactivity. One might be the selective action of the kidneys in production of urine, i.e. concentration of D20, similarly to the concentration of mercury by sword fish and shellfish.