Re: [Phys-l] Inquiry

Hi all-
On rereading Rick's posting, I find it much too common sensicle to be appealling to the proponents of radical change in teacing styles.
Regards,
Jack

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Rick Tarara wrote:

But ALSO...how do we learn, in practice? That is, how have been people
learning _outside formal academic situations_ for quite some time now?
Getting back to the initial thread, isn't it largely by READING? We can add
to that many other modes of learning...we do our own inquiry, we watch and
listen to 'educational' programs, we attend lectures and listen to radio
programs (Public Radio), we sometimes work with others, we sometimes just
play around, we sometimes use a 'tutor' or 'mentor', sometimes we even read
and write to internet forums! ;-)

In my mind the _cruel_ brand of 'lecture' is a straw dog. Who here actually
does nothing but lecture? Unless saddled with a crowded 500 student lecture
room, I suspect we all use some combination of techniques to help students
learn--or more importantly to learn how to learn. That last is, I think,
key here. Even through College/University, the content is less important
than the learning process itself, and that learning process needs to be
viable for individual learning, away from external structures, if it is to
be used 'life-long'. That, to me, means becoming comfortable with all the
things listed in the paragraph above...and more. There is no 'one best
way'. Again--and I AM a broken record on this point--the 'best' way to
teach a course, a topic, a given idea, will depend on the goals--just what
you are trying to accomplish. It isn't always a deep, intellectual
understanding of some narrow topic (but sometimes it is). I vote to use all
the tools available--to expose students to all the tools they have and will
have to continue their learning. Yes, this certainly means not 'lecturing'
all the time, but does not preclude lecturing some of the time. Cooperative
learning, at times...individual at other times. Start from scratch and
reinvent the wheel--sometimes, explore given knowledge, the applications and
limits of validity at others.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics