Re: [Phys-l] Derogatory reaction to George Will

Whys are we getting this posting from another list? If I wanted to see this I would have subscribed to that list. Talk about overnflated ego.......

Bob at PC

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Richard Hake
Sent: Tue 3/10/2009 3:49 PM
To: EDRESMETH-L@LISTSERV.UCONN.EDU
Cc: Net-Gold@yahoogroups.com; tips@acsun.frostburg.edu; AERA-L@LISTSERV.AERA.NET; PHYSOC@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU; EVALTALK@BAMA.UA.EDU; AERA-D@LISTSERV.AERA.NET; phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu; PHYSLRNR@LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU; POD@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Derogatory reaction to George Will

If you reply to this long (15 kB) post please don't hit the reply
button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your
reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already
archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: EdResMeth's Jim Gaffney asked (paraphrasing) "How does the
imputation of George Will's (2009a) denial of global warming as
'uninformed' advance research? My answer: Will's uninformed opinion
is actually believed by many of his readers and thus tends to negate
the general scientific research consensus that anthropogenic global
warming does indeed exist - see e.g., APS (2007), IPCC (2007a,b;
2009). Therefore calling attention to the uninformed nature of Will's
opinion may help to discredit it, and thereby advance the scientific
research consensus.

Warming" [Hake (2009a)], EdResMeth's Jim Gaffney (2009) wrote
[bracketed by lines "GGGGG. . . . "]:

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Please tell me how this relates to Educational Research?

I can and did read George Will's article! My reaction was personal
and I try to keep abreast of issues as a concerned citizen. And I am
sure you do as well.

But don't impugn his article which appeared in our local paper (not
in a Science journal) with words like: "uninformed".

It was his opinion that was expressed! Pejorative terms don't
advance research.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Since educational research is a subset of scientific research
[Shavelson & Towne (2002)], I'll take the liberty of rephrasing
Gaffney's first and forth sentences as:

GAFFNEY'S QUESTION: How does the imputation of George Will's
(2009a) denial of global warming as "uninformed" advance research?

MY ANSWER: Unfortunately, Will's uninformed opinion is believed by
many of his readers and thus tends to negate the general scientific
research consensus that anthropogenic global warming does indeed
exist - see e.g., APS (2007), IPCC (2007a,b; 2009). Therefore calling
attention to the uninformed nature of Will's opinion may help to
discredit it, and thereby advance the scientific research consensus.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>