Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] Climate Change - Is it Controversial?

I've cross posted, as I wish a broader opinion on this matter.

The below the ------- is from the Wiki. article on Richard Lindzen. He is one of the keynote speakers of the present controversial conference.

I am extremely disturbed by the apparent punishment of critics of anthropogenic climate change. As long as this happens, I cannot accept that the question is answered. When the government, et al. funds critics w/ "good" credentials, e.g. R. L., then the question may be resolved, until then I lump the IPCC, et al. along w/ the Bush administration as enemies of science. Reminds me of the Soviet attack on Vavilov.

bc does believe (note the word) in the A. of GCC.

p.s. I do note that, as pointed out by a tap-ler, that the conference is mainly sponsored by capitalist interests and the mean political interests.

Criticism of IPCC

He frequently speaks out against the IPCC position that significant global warming is very likely caused by humans (see global warming) although he accepts that the warming has occurred, saying global mean temperature is about 0.6 degrees Celsius higher than it was a century ago.[5]

His position with regard to the IPCC can be summed up with this quotation: "Picking holes in the IPCC is crucial. The notion that if you’re ignorant of something and somebody comes up with a wrong answer, and you have to accept that because you don’t have another wrong answer to offer is like faith healing, it’s like quackery in medicine – if somebody says you should take jelly beans for cancer and you say that’s stupid, and he says, well can you suggest something else and you say, no, does that mean you have to go with jelly beans?"[6]

Lindzen was one of several scientists who appeared in The Great Global Warming Swindle, a documentary that aired in the UK in March, 2007 on Channel 4. The film was critical of the IPCC and many scientific opinions on climate change. The film has been criticized for misuse of data and out of date research, for using misleading arguments, and for misrepresenting the position of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.[7][8][9][10]

He wrote an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal in April, 2006, in which he wrote: "In Europe, Henk Tennekes was dismissed as research director of the Royal Dutch Meteorological Society after questioning the scientific underpinnings of global warming. Aksel Winn-Nielsen, former director of the U.N.'s World Meteorological Organization, was tarred by Bert Bolin, first head of the IPCC, as a tool of the coal industry for questioning climate alarmism. Respected Italian professors Alfonso Sutera and Antonio Speranza disappeared from the debate in 1991, apparently losing climate-research funding for raising questions."[11]