Re: [Phys-l] [rete] Experimental Method for Earth Radius

I am indebted to Eugene for mentioning a comparable citation - some prior art so to speak. I copy his note below to PHYS-L for their interest too.
Thank you so much

Brian Whatcott

Altus OK

Eugene Rudd wrote:
A similar method was described in the American Journal of Physics, vol 47, pg. 126 (1979) by Dennis Rawlins. In that case one measures the time interval between two sunsets; one observed at ground level and the second observed a few minutes later from a ladder or tower several feet higher in elevation. With some corrections for latitude and time of the year given in the article, he claims that one can measure the diameter of the Earth within 10%.

Eugene Rudd

Brian Whatcott wrote:
I am relaying this note from a physics .... list, believing it may be of interest to you. For me, it carried the same kind of frisson as reading about Harrison's stellar transit method for timing chronometers.

Brian W

David Bowman wrote:
I've come up with a fairly simple means of measuring/calculating
the size of the earth.....