Re: [Phys-l] Inquiry

Unfortunately, physics books don't read like novels. The

information/language is "foreign" and more technical. It demands time,

attention, patience, and discipline -- which few students have.

· Novels don't read like novels for many high-schoolers. That is why we need to include pre-reading and reading strategies for science courses (and English / history / math?).

Again, the books are packed with way too much information.

* can't we pick and choose the sections we'd like them to read?

Also, books sometimes fail to make the information relevant. Physics is

everywhere. We should write and teach like it is an exciting and important

subject. Too often, we (and books) fall short.

· And if the book doesn't make it relevant, hopefully we can either:

a)ask leading questions that relate the content to life and relevance for when the kids read,

b)make it relevant for them before they read. That is the purpose of the pre-reading actions.

I just opened up the Serway Jewett Principles of Physics text to a random section. Lucked out, standing waves in strings. Before we ask our kids to read, do we specifically ask them to try to relate this to the guitar, rubber bands they twang, the sway of blinds on the windows when they are opened and closed, a jump-rope? Or do we assume the kid will make those connections? I might have lucked out by landing on an easy topic, but we can do the same for other sections. WE can do this more easily than the kids can. The sharp folks on this list could easily come up with more than me for Temperature and the Zeroth Law of Thermo; Thermometers & Temperature Scales [16.1 & 16.2], I'd probably bring up calibrating different thermometer types and the places that thermometers are likely used that students might not be aware of. You folks can probably add more to that. Kids don't know what a solenoid is. Maybe we should put it in context first and then assign reading. If we put it in context originally, then ask them to read and see if they can add to what we are doing, or fill in some intentional gaps...

Just a thought.

Paul Lulai

Physics Instructor, Science Olympiad Coach,

.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:. Faculty Advisor

Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282

3303 33rd Avenue N.E.

Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418

(w) 612-706-1144

(fax) 612-706-1140

http://www.robohuskie.com

http://prettygoodphysics.wikispaces.com

http://sites.google.com/site/go4st8physics/

http://www.stanthony.k12.mn.us/hsscience/index.shtml

Education comes from within; you get it by struggle and effort and thought. Napoleon Hill

One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. Paul Valéry

I like the idea of asking the kids what they didn't understand about the

reading, etc.

Unfortunately, physics books don't read like novels. The

information/language is "foreign" and more technical. It demands time,

attention, patience, and discipline -- which few students have.

Again, the books are packed with way too much information.

Also, books sometimes fail to make the information relevant. Physics is

everywhere. We should write and teach like it is an exciting and important

subject. Too often, we (and books) fall short.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:

Pre-reading strategies help the newbie make sense of what they are

getting ready to read. Occasionally students will go into a section

having no real understanding of what they should learn from the section.

A few strategies I've gotten from local 'reading experts.'

- have students read section headings and predict what the content will

include.

- preview the figures, charts, captions & predict content

- require students to write and record 'active reading questions.'*

I think that many students do not really *think* while they read. They

do not try to put the new material into a spot that a) connects it with

what they have already learned in class; b) have experienced already in

life. Maybe this would be a way to make a science-specific guided

reading format.

The 'active reading questions' (in the English department): The students

read the literature and record a series of questions about the text. The

English dept folks require the questions to be "how" and "why" questions

as these are generally more thought provoking in those content areas.

I've found that intro to physics students will record, "Why does flux

depend on B?" or "Why is net force proportional to mass?" This brings

up the kinda neat conversation of, "we don't know. but it sure is what we

observe isn't it? take some data see what we get..." But the question

how / why questions might be less appropriate in science classes. I

don't know. Perhaps if the students were not allowed to ask how/why

equations or proportionality questions the results would be better.

I believe this list has also discussed asking students to complete

reading quizzes, and asking students to state "Three things new to you

and one thing you already knew" about the reading content. If not, there

it is.

IMHO students need some guidance in learning how to read. These are some

decent first steps. If the publishers are going to put all of that crap

in the text book, maybe we can try to use it (well, some of it).