Re: [Phys-l] Inquiry

I agree that we need to help them learn to read these texts.

And I agree that in general, fewer topics taught at greater comprehension is better.

I disagree that the texts are for me and not for my students. Again, if we don't make it possible for our students to discover that they can learn from a book, then how will they learn when they are not in our classrooms? Or are we giving up on that goal? Reading may not be as good as doing, but it has some excellent advantages over anything you can do in a classroom: it is portable, repeatable, available any time...

We often say that one of our goals is to teach students how to learn. Over a lifetime, only a tiny fraction of learning will happen in a classroom no matter what we do.