[Phys-l] Language Load

I don't know if this is the first reference, but I do recall Rich
Olenick (University of Dallas) talking about this back in the days of
the C3P project (1995, give or take); I even think he wrote it in one of
the C3P newsletters. My recollection is that Rich said he actually did
the counting, but I could be wrong about this part.

Barney

------ snip -----

Don't know if this is really true, but I recall someone saying once

that the language load in an intro physics course was larger than the

language load in an intro modern language course. ?If so, that does

say something about our expectations.

Hi Joe and all

Might anyone know of the reference for the intriguing statement in

Joe's comment above? I'm planning a program with a

linguist/mathematician to teach calculus and physics, where we are

going to learn and use linguistics to help work through many of the

issues brought up in this very interesting thread.

sincerely,

Krishna

Bernard Ricca, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences

Saint John Fisher College

3690 East Avenue

Rochester, NY 14618

585-899-3866 (Office)