Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On Feb 25, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Woolf, Lawrence wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu On Behalf Of Joseph Bellina
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:57 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Inquiry

I think part of the vision of guided inquiry is that students learn
in ways that are similar to how scientists learn new things...but
doing, discussing, being wrong often, writing, reading, etc.

Similar points are nicely discussed in the following:

What Are the Similarities between Scientific Research and Science Education Reform?

Cherilynn A. Morrow, Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colorado

"This 7-page paper offers a direct analogy between the process of scientific research and a process of teaching science that is consistent with modern science education reform. The "Monotillation of Traxoline" is reprinted here for your enjoyment."

<http://www.spacescience.org/education/extra/ resources_scientists_cd/Source/Similar.pdf>

Larry Woolf