[Phys-l] Oobleck

We did a large-ish scale version a couple of times for campus events. Our
oobleck was about 8 ft long, 3 ft wide, and 2 ft deep. We rented a portable
cement mixer to mix smaller batches before dumping it into the main pool.
(It was still pretty messy!) A couple canoe paddles were useful to help
with the dumping and to keep the pool well mixed. We left it completely
uncovered and had no trouble with evaporation over the course of 4-5
hours.

Here are a few things we did that I would recommend.
- For both convenience and safety, we rented a platform to surround the
main pool at the height of its top, so people step down about a foot
onto the oobleck. We covered the platform with rubber squares to improve
traction. We kept two spotters at the sides to steady people if they
needed it. Lining the inner edge of the platform with foam (e.g. pool
toys) would prevent injury if someone falls, though we had no falls with
100's of students. Nevertheless, we had everyone sign a waiver.
- A water hose is essential for cleaning people off.
- Our events were intended to attract passers-by. We carried some cups of
oobleck around with pencils to poke it with. These were very effective
at getting people interested.
- Think about disposal. The final pool of oobleck is obviously very heavy.
We used a forklift to load it on a truck, which took it to a suitable
place to dump it.

We found that the whole event took a lot of work plus some money for the
platform and cement mixer, but it was a big hit with the students on
campus.

Good luck.

John Laird

John B. Laird