Re: [Phys-l] Students' READING abilities

OK everybody. If you don't do it John's way, don't bother to do it. You might as well quit right now. Maybe the new administration can pass a law to dictate exactly HOW we should all teach (and think, and interact with others, etc.). I know John really believes in this stuff--even believes the research if proof (of something--but exactly what is somewhat unclear. By what criterion is this or that better, and whose criterion is that? One style fits all course goals--I guess.) I personally get tired of the constant litany here. For the goals I have, what I do (developed over 30 years and constantly being changed and updated, containing elements of many different teaching/learning styles--even inquiry!) serves reasonably well. I don't see how one methodology here can serve all the goals I have, but then I'm getting too old and inflexible! Anyway, for all you young-uns, I guess it's Clement's way or the highway!

Rick ;-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org>

If the new courses were all taught using inquiry, I can see supporting them.
But they won't be. And at the same time physics is likely to go to freshman
year and be taught by the former physical science teachers who have many of
the same misconceptions as their students.