Re: [Phys-l] Students' READING abilities

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmiston, Mike" <edmiston@bluffton.edu>

But let's also realize there are many differences between high school
and college. Some differences make high school teaching more difficult,
and some differences make college teaching more difficult. It is my
experience that student apathy is much worse in college physics.

While I see all of this in my students as I'm sure most of us do, the problem is partly our fault and partly the fault of the college advisors (and probably others). We don't 'sell' the curricula very well. Students don't understand why they are taking this set of courses (they certainly won't read any material about such). I think we have to be explicit about why they are taking this course or that course and we need to beat on these reasons throughout the course. I try hard to do this. I have written materials but also discuss (at several points during the year) why science is part of the Gen Ed curriculum. I have designed aspects of the curriculum to increase their awareness of the connections between science, technology, and their very survival. We have a semester devoted to the study of national and world energy concerns. A recent film and reaction paper points out how few students were really aware of any details or the seriousness of Global Warming--despite most being Juniors and Seniors in college. Well they are aware now! Gen Ed science courses (IMO) need to be a lot more than just exploring the process of scientific discovery (although that needs to be a part). My Calculus-level class used to be all Chem majors (we have no physics majors) but now is becoming more heavily weighted towards engineering (math students have given up on business careers and are looking more towards engineering--at least the women at this College are). I am constantly pointing out how this topic or that topic relates to either Chemistry or Engineering or both. Ignorance of resonance phenomena and your bridge falls down, ignorance of thermal expansion and your engine seizes, ignorance of simple calorimetry and you production design for a chemical process fails or ends up ruinously expensive, and of course (right now) Chemistry is all E&M physics, and the modern route in much of the chemical research relies on using that basic physics to model new molecules, new drugs, new materials.

So, we have to sell the relevance and the career and departmental advisors need to be knowledgeable and promote all the different courses that a student will HAVE to take.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College