Re: [Phys-l] scientific notation

Pete Lohstreter wrote:
Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Ah, how easily I am deceived by a value in scientific notation that is not normalized....
10.0 E-2 would normalize to 1.0 E-1 and the conflict would be reduced. Or would it?

Hummm... Isn't 1.0 x 10 ^-1 just 1? which is not really the same
thing as 10 x 10^-2 - is it? Or do you really mean 10 raised to the -2
power?

I discourage my students from using the 'E' notation on anything. They
have to use it on their calculators, but if they write it down, they must
use the x 10 ^n notation. It is a struggle at first, they want to
write down exactly what they see on their calculators without really
thinking about it. Making them change to 'normal' scientific notation at
least makes them look at the number again.

Pete Lohstreter
This is certainly not the first time that this list has expressed reservations about scientific notation. In topics that suffer from insight-blindness - a deficit which is much like spelling blindness for particular words - and who does not suffer from this one? I find that a
touchstone is helpful. For Scientific notation for example, my touchstone is this equation:

[AnyNumber]^0 = 1
For me, it is not difficult to spring from 10^0 = 1 to this: 10^-1 = 1/10

From this spring board, you will probably agree that 1.0 X 10^-1 = 1.0 X 1/10

Brian W