Re: [Phys-l] question on averaging.

John!

I'll interleave
On 2009, Feb 19, , at 02:56, John Denker wrote:

On 02/18/2009 10:21 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I'm analyzing the free decay of a pendulum à la Siegel [AJP 76 (10)
956.]

However, the pendulum has such a large Q (few hundred => ~2k) that I
must average over several data points. Since the necessary values
are the speed squared there are two orders. One to average the
squared speeds and tother to square the averaged. The difference is
not large as over most of the decay the loss is rather small. [Which
is why I must average!] Also the factor of interest is the
difference between the squared points (speeds). So the question,
which is the correct order, if there is one?

bc thinks this is more a meta-physics question

Metaphysics is not required. Physics suffices.

-- Energy is (strictly) conserved. Speed is not.

System not closed; dissipation found. constant (Coulomb due to ball bearing suspension), linear (viscous drag), and quadratic (turbulent drag).

-- Energy is almost constant from cycle to cycle in this system.

Yes, the result is significant proportion is noise requiring averaging.

Speed is not.

No it's very slowly changing, but very noisy

-- Q is conveniently defined in terms of energy.

def.: 2Pi*speed squared / delta(speed squared)

Yes, but not nearly as revealing as a* [ = ~ delta(speed squared / (speed* period)] {Siegel}

-- KE goes like speed squared (at corresponding points in
the cycle).

Therefore, unless there are special additional requirements, as-yet
unmentioned, speed squared (or, better, energy) is the way to go.
A big part of physics consists of connecting experiment to theory,
and in this system the connection is easiest in terms of energy.

Also note that "averaging" is a lame substitute for curve-fitting.

The first time I plotted Q (bc's continuous method) using a ~ >10K Q pendulum (observatory type) Q values varied as much as Q = +/- 10^10!!!

The decay is so little that noise is dominant. Fitting to Q is a solution, but very impractical, because the Q is not well behaved. A fit requires many terms w/ difficult physical interpretation. The v. hi. Q pendulum is so poorly behaved that even fitting to a* is not practical. It acts as if two pendula with a smooth transition.

I interpret John has answered my question, Square the speeds then massage.

[I thought the question was more interpretive than "cut and dried", hence my meta-physics.]

bc thanks JD

p.s. I will be pleased to send plots to requesters.

[refs. *Siegel/sync 6/a*; *sync5; 3mm with a*]